2019年3月19日火曜日

Begging I will go または Tae the Beggin' について

And A-Begging I Will Go / The Begging Song / Tae the Baggin’ (物乞いに出かけよう)

イワン・マコールからマーティン・カーシーに伝わったBegging I will go(題名は微妙に色々ある)という歌は、乞食はええぞ〜、気楽やぞ〜♪という歌詞を、その割にはしみったれた暗いメロディにのせて歌いますが、スコットランドのオシアンのバージョンは、陽気で楽しくて仕方がないといったメロディで、こてこてのスコットランド方言による歌詞もかなり趣きが異なります。
この差の背景には、スコットランドとイングランドで異なる物乞いの位置づけがあるようです。
※1600年頃には歌詞の原型があったようですが、カーシーが80年代に残したレコードでは、時代背景に合わせたオリジナルの歌詞を書き加えています。サッチャー時代が到来し、乞食は気楽というフレーズはそのままで暗く、自虐的な内容となりリベラルのカーシーらしい社会批判の歌になっています。

オシアン(OSSIAN)バージョンのライナーノーツには、実に面白い記述があります。
1606年、スコットランドであまりに物乞いが盛んになったため、王ジェームズ6世が地方を往来する乞食の人数を制限する法律を定めた。登録された乞食には各々、名前と王のイニシャルと「往来御免(Pass and Repass)」の文句が書かれたバッジが発行され、バッジをつけずに物乞いをし見とがめられると、何人も投獄を免れなかった。しかしながら、乞食は婚礼において吉兆とみなされたし、情報の伝え手としても有用だった。多くの家には、火のそばに「ギャバランジー・マン(鑑札を持つ乞食)」用の特別な場所があった。

マコール〜カーシーのオリジナルバージョン
And A-Begging I Will Go(on album “Martin Carthy”)

Of all the trades in England the beggin' is the best
For when a beggar's tired he can lay him down and rest

Chorus
And a-beggin' I will go
And a-beggin' I will go

I've a pocket for my oatmeal and another for my salt
I've a pair of little crutches that should see how I can bolt

There's patches on my fusty coat and a black patch on my eye
But when it comes to tuppenny ale I can see as well as thee

My britches they are no but holes but my heart is free of care
As long as I've my belly full my backside can go bare

I've been deaf at Duckinfield and I've been blind at Shaw
And many's the right and willing lass I've bedded in the straw

There's a bed for me where'er I lie and I don't pay no rent
I've got no noisy looms to mind and I am right content

I can rest when I am tired and I heed no master's bell
You men'd be daft to be a king when beggars live so well

Of all the trades in England the beggin' is the best
For when a beggar's tired he can lay him down and rest

さあ物乞いに 出かけよう(アルバム “Martin Carthy” 1965)

イングランドの商売じゃ 物乞いこそが一番だ
乞食は疲れりゃ横になり 一服だってできるから

 さあ物乞いに 出かけよう
 さあ物乞いに 出かけよう

片方のポッケにはオートミール もう一方には塩入れて
小さな松葉杖使い 駆け出すこともできますぞ

カビた上着はつぎはぎで 片方の目には黒パッチ
だけどビールのこととなりゃ あなたと同じくよく見える

わしのズボンは穴だらけ だけど心は悩みなし
腹一杯でいるうちは 尻丸出しになりかねん

ダッキンフィールドじゃ聞こえぬふりで ショーの町では見えぬふり
わら小屋で寝た聞き分けの いい娘も大勢おりますぞ

横になったところがどこでも我が寝床 一文だって払やせぬ
嫌なうるさい機織りの 音もしなくて満足だ

疲れりゃ休むことができ 主人が呼び出すベルもない
乞食暮らしが楽なのに 王様になりたいとは気が知れぬ

イングランドの商売じゃ 物乞いこそが一番だ
乞食は疲れりゃ横になり 一服だってできるから

 さあ物乞いに 出かけよう
 さあ物乞いに 出かけよう

80年代のカーシーのバージョン
The Begging Song (on album “Life and Limb”)

Of all the trades in England the beggin' is the best
For when a beggar's tired he can lay him down and rest

And a-beggin' I will go
And a-beggin' I will go

I got on the train in Carlisle they kicked me out at Crewe
I slept on every paving-stone from there to Waterloo

I got breakfast off the Embankment I got my lunch and tea
And only the finest cardboard made a home that was fit for me

We sit on the stair at Leicester Square from seven o'clock till ten
Then round the back of the Connaught House for dinner from out of a bin

I can rest when I am tired and I heed no master's bell
A man'd be daft to be a king when beggars live so well

The law came down to see us they came down three together
They put out the fire they left us there Oh Lord how we did shiver

I am a Victorian value I'm enterprise poverty
Completely invisible to the state and a joy to Mrs T

Of all the trades in England the beggin' is the best
For when a beggar's tired he can lay him down and rest

物乞いの歌 (アルバム “LIFE AND LIMB” 1981)

イングランドの商売じゃ 物乞いこそが一番だ
乞食は疲れりゃ横になり 休むこともできるから

 さあ物乞いに 出かけよう
 さあ物乞いに 出かけよう

カーライルからキセルして クルーの町で追い出され
そこからウォータールーの駅までは 夜ごと野宿の石畳

テムズの土手で朝飯を それから昼飯、午後のお茶
飛切りの段ボールがなきゃ ぴったりの家は作れない

わしら7時から10時まで レスター広場の階段に座る
それからコノートハウスの裏に回り ホテルのゴミでディナーする

疲れりゃ休むことができ 主人が呼び出すベルもない
乞食暮らしが楽なのに 王様になりたいとは気が知れぬ

降って沸いてきた法律が 三つわしらにやってきた
たき火を消されて放り出され 寒さに震えておりました

わしはヴィクトリア時代の遺物 貧乏が仕事
お上の目には見えやしない ミセスTには幸いだ

イングランドの商売じゃ 物乞いこそが一番だ
乞食は疲れりゃ横になり 休むこともできるから

 さあ物乞いに 出かけよう
 さあ物乞いに 出かけよう

※ ミセスT(Mrs T)はマーガレット・サッチャー(Margaret Thatcher)のこと サッチャーは1979年から1990年まで首相だった。

オシアンのバージョン
Tae the Beggin’
(OSSIAN on album “DOVE ACROSS THE WATER 1982)

Oh, of a' the trades that I do ken, the beggin' is the best.
For when a beggar's weary,, he can sit him doon and rest.

Tae the beggin' Iwill go, will go, tae the beggin' Iwill go.

And I will tae the tailor, wi' a wab o' hodden grey,
And gar him mak' a cloak for me, to hap me nicht and day.

And I will tae the cobbler, and I'll gar him sort my shoon,
An inch thick tae the bottom, and clooted weel abune.

And I will to the turner, and I'll gar him mak' a dish,
And it maun haud three chappins, for I cannae dae wi' less.

And yet ere I begin my trade, I'll let my beard grow strang,
Nor pare my nails this year or day, for the beggars wear them lang.

And I'll gang seek my lodgings afore that it grows dark,
Just when the guidman's sitting doon, and new hame frae his work.

And maybe the guidman will say: “Guidman, ye'll hae your meal.
Your welcome tae your brose the nicht, likewise your breid and kail.”

Noo, if beggin' be as good a trade, and as I hope it may,
It's time that I was oot o' here, and haudin' doon the brae.

Oh, of a' the trades that I do ken, the beggin' is the best.
For when a beggar's weary, he can sit him doon and rest.

行くぞ 物乞い(オシアン“DOVE ACROSS THE WATER 1982)

おいらが知ってる 商売じゃ 物乞いこそが 一番さ
くたびれた時は 腰下ろし 一服するのも 思うまま
(リフレイン)
行くぞ物乞い 物乞いに いざ出かけよう 物乞いに

仕立屋のとこへ 行ってやろう ねずみの生地を 持っていこう
マントに 仕立てさせてやろう 昼にも夜にも くるまれる

靴屋のとこも 行ってやろう 靴の修繕 やらせよう
底の厚みは 1インチ 継ぎ当て具合も ぬかりなく

焼き物屋にも行ってやろう 深皿一枚 作らせよう
1パイント半 入るやつ それくらいなきゃ 物足りぬ

だが商売の その前に ひげぼうぼうに たくわえて
一度たりとも 爪切らず 乞食はどちらも 伸ばすもの

ねぐらも探しに 行ってやろう お天道様が 暮れぬうち
お旦那さんが 仕事から お帰りなすった その頃に

お旦那さんは 言うだろさ 「飯でもどうだ お前さん
今夜は粥を ふるまおう パンとスープも 好きなだけ」
 
さて物乞いが 望むよな よい商売で あるならば
出かける時だ 今こそは 丘を下って まっしぐら

おいらが知ってる 商売じゃ 物乞いこそが 一番さ
くたびれた時は 腰下ろし 一服するのも 思うまま

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿